Monday, August 25, 2008

Robotics II - Who Do You Appreciate


Today was the fist day of school. Robotics II had 25 students in the class. It is very tight in the classroom with all of those bodies. Throughout the day, I had no less than six students want to discuss the Robotics II class with me. I had to tell them we did not have room for them. It is so hard to turn away students who are excited about the possibility of a class they are interested in. They did have the opportunity to sign up for the class last spring though.

I challenged them to leave a legacy as last years class did - Rookie of the Year at Lone Star Regional and qualifying for First Robotics Championships in Atlanta. "Can you get back to Championships this year?" Tall undertaking to say the least with basically a whole new crew other our mentors and a two students back from last year.

Last year we had 11 girls out of 36 on the team. We have two girls in Robotics II this year. It is apparent that I need to work on recruiting more girls onto the team.

I wonder if any will drop the class because of time commitments and conflicts. I tried to represent the expectations of being a member of the Robotics II class and the need for each one to dedicate to our team.

No comments: